Antique India Shaivite Bangle, Hindu Brass Shiva Bangle, Shiva Lingam,138 Grams
RARE: This bangle is highly collectible and very hard to find today.
This is an antique lost wax cast brass bangle from one of the small towns or villages around Maharashtra, and in the form known as "Virkangan" (Powerful Bangle).
It is worn as a bangle or on the upper arm by a Shaivite ascetic.
Represented around the perimeter are symbols associated with Shiva and his relatives I have been able to identify.
1. Center- Shiva's son Ganesha addorsed
2. Bull - Nandi - with with Yoni on his side and Lingam on his back
3. Hanuman the Monkey God, Lord Hanuman the Avatar of Shiva
4. Symbol, Triangle - Linga in Yoni
5. Nandi the Bull sitting at the Shiva Lingam and Yoni
6 Linga, Yoni Symbol
7. Five piled up balls (Panch Pindi) representing the five elements of life
8. The Naga, Cobra protective over Lord Shiva
90. Three Faces of the Shaivite family, and one face of Ganesh with Elephant Trunk
This example is in fine used condition. There is a lot of surface residue as shown in the listing photos and can be cleaned.
Height: 1.7 cm ( 5/8")
Width: 1.9 cm (6/8")
Inner Diameter: 7.5 cm (3")
Outer Diameter: 10 cm (4")
Weight: 138 Grams (4.879oz.)